EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- 2011: Received MA in Clinical Psychology from the University of Alabama
- 2012: Completed training in Prolonged Exposure (PE) Therapy for PTSD
- 2013: Completed VA training and consultation in Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT) for PTSD
- 2013: Completed Predoctoral Internship at the Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System
- 2013: Received PhD in Clinical Psychology from the University of Alabama
- 2013-2104: Postdoctoral year at the Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System, Community-based Outpatient Clinic, Columbus, GA
- 2014: Received Certification in Behavioral Sleep Medicine (CBSM)
- 2014: Obtained License to practice psychology in the State of Alabama
- 2014: Obtained License to practice psychology in the State of Georgia
- 2014-2015: Independent Contractor at Atlanta Insomnia & Behavioral Health Services, Decatur, GA
- 2015-2022: Clinical Psychologist at The Southeast Permanente Medical Group / Kaiser Permanente, Atlanta, GA
- 2019: Received Diplomate in Behavioral Sleep Medicine (DBSM)
- Joined Anxiety Specialists of Atlanta in 2022
Haley Byers, PhD, DBSM is a licensed psychologist and Diplomate in Behavioral Sleep Medicine. She specializes in treating adults with anxiety and depression, with particular focus on trauma and stress related disorders, OCD, generalized anxiety disorder, and adjustment issues including the postpartum period. In addition, she has expertise in treating insomnia and other sleep difficulties such as chronic nightmares, circadian rhythm sleep disorders, and difficulty tolerating CPAP for sleep apnea. Dr. Byers relies on evidence-based treatments and techniques, e.g., Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, exposure therapies such as Exposure and Response Prevention, Prolonged Exposure or Cognitive Processing Therapy for PTSD, mindfulness, and acceptance-based approaches.
Dr. Byers has trained and worked with individuals in a variety of settings including the VA, primary care and sleep clinics, and outpatient mental health clinics. Her practice is guided by a biopsychosocial model that acknowledges the interactions among a person’s body, thoughts, behaviors, emotions, environment, and present and past relationships. While Dr. Byers relies on evidence-based treatments and techniques, she views each person as a unique individual. She works collaboratively with her clients to gain a better understanding of their particular life situation and move them in the direction of their life goals.
In addition to her clinical work, Dr. Byers has a research background in behavioral sleep medicine. She is an active member of the Society of Behavioral Sleep Medicine. In both research and clinical practice, she recognizes that sleep is an important component of physical and emotional health.
Dr. Byers was born and raised in Auburn, Alabama (home of Auburn University) though she studied at rival schools – the University of Georgia and the University of Alabama. She still enjoys attending football games with her family- rooting for both Auburn and Georgia! She and her husband spend the rest of their time chasing their two little ones.