Josh S. Spitalnick, Ph.D., ABPP, is a Licensed Psychologist, Board Certified in Behavioral and Cognitive Psychology (ABPP), and Owner/Clinical Director of Anxiety Specialists of Atlanta, an outpatient clinic in Dunwoody, GA. In his clinical practice, Dr. Spitalnick specializes in the delivery of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) to treat OCD, anxiety and mood disorders, health anxiety, specific phobias, stress and trauma, medical complexities, and difficulties in relationship functioning. He works with children (as young as 3) as well as adolescents and adults. He has notable subspecialties in pediatric anxiety (separation anxiety, sleep difficulties, selective mutism, etc), OCD subtypes that are less commonly seen (harm OCD, moral scrupulosity, relationship OCD, etc). As the owner of two small businesses (his clinical practice and a healthcare-focused software development company), and as a consultant to other small healthcare companies, Dr. Spitalnick also works with C-level executives and owners of small businesses in his practice who find themselves navigating exciting and challenging career opportunities.
Within the clinical community, Dr. Spitalnick serves in a consulting capacity to various anxiety specialty clinics and presents on advances in CBT, Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP), and exposure therapy at various local and national professional conferences. He remains active as a research scientist specializing in developing and evaluating software-augmented evidence-based interventions and training platforms, with current funded projects addressing Chronic Tic Disorders and training professionals working with Alzheimer’s patients. Dr. Spitalnick has been a Principal Investigator or Co-Investigator on over 15 federally funded studies (NIH, NIMH, CDC, USAF) to address a variety of important anxiety and health-related interventions, including transdiagnostic pediatric anxiety, social anxiety in youth, PTSD/TBI, STD/HIV risk prevention, weight loss, food-based allergies, sleep disorders, pain management, resilience training for healthcare workers, and substance use disorders.
He is active in the Atlanta community in volunteer roles, serving as a Board Member for OCD Georgia (the state based affiliate to the International OCD Foundation), co-chair of mental health initiatives at local religious and educational organizations, and he holds an appointment as Adjunct Assistant Professor in Psychiatry at Emory University’s School of Medicine where he trains physicians and other health care providers in the delivery of CBT.
He has been a featured expert on The OCD Stories, ABC News, Fox 5 News, NBC News, London Times, American Medical News, The Times-Georgian, The Discovery Channel’s Brink Series, NPR: The Kojo Nnamdi Show, Emory Magazine, American Psychological Association’s Webcast Portal, 11alive.com, myfoxatlanta.com, CNN.com, ScienceDaily.com, PsychCentral.com, Orlando Sentinel, and a variety of other local, regional, and national print, television, and online media outlets.
Having lived in Atlanta for over 40 years, Dr. Spitalnick is passionate about his local professional and collegiate sports teams (Go Dawgs!!), and he’s hoping for a championship sometime soon. He loves stand-up comedy and has followed the best of the best in stand-up since his teenage years (Ellen Degeneres is his all time favorite and having lunch with her remains on his very short bucket list). Dr. Spitalnick is a percussionist of over 30 years, listens to music as much as time permits, and is major follower of the band Phish.
678-825-2320 Ext. 2
Education and Training
- 2000: Received MA in Forensic Psychology from John Jay College
- 2003: Received MS in Psychology from UGA
- 2004: Completed Internship/Residency at Boston Univ.'s Center for Multicultural Training in Psychology
- 2005: Received PhD from UGA
- 2005-2006: NIMH-funded Ruth L. Kirchstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Research Fellowship for HIV/AIDS interventions.
- 2006: Obtained License to practice in the State of GA
- 2008: Completed Certification by USUHS to provide PE to treat PTSD
- 2010: Virtual Reality Exposure Therapy (VRET) to treat PTSD among IOF/OEF Service Members
- 2013: Completed BTTI Certification (general) by the IOCDF to provide ERP to treat OCD
- 2013: Board Certified (AABP) in Behavioral and Cognitive Psychology
- 2019: Completed BTTI Certification (Pediatric Specialty) by the IOCDF to provide ERP to treat OCD
- 2019: Completed Selective Mutism intensive training under the direction of Dr. Shelley Avny