Dr. Shannan Edwards is a Clinical Psychologist who specializes in the delivery of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and exposure therapy to treat a variety of anxiety disorders including social anxiety, specific phobias, OCD, selective mutism, and medical/health anxiety. Other areas of clinical focus include grief and loss, mood disorders (depression), adjustment issues, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), social skill deficits, and relationship issues. Dr. Edwards also provides parent behavior management training and school consultation services to address attentional, emotional, behavioral, and/or social challenges in the school setting.
Dr. Edwards is a specialist who offers exposure therapy for various anxiety disorders and has completed training from some of the leading certified organizations and experts including the International OCD Foundation (Behavior Therapy Training Institute) for OCD and ERP and Dr. Shelley Avny for selective mutism. Dr. Edwards is committed to providing therapy services that are informed by the best available research evidence. She is an active participant in the scientific community and has contributed to numerous federally-funded treatment outcome trials exploring the effectiveness of cognitive behavioral therapy interventions in the treatment of anxiety disorders.
Dr. Edwards is particularly interested in working with individuals suffering from social anxiety (social phobia) and she has completed extensive research, training, and clinical work (with both groups and individuals) in this area. Recognizing the relation between psychological and medical/health issues, Dr. Edwards has pursued collaborative research and clinical opportunities in the fields of medicine and genetics as well. She recently worked on a study investigating the long-term developmental implications of diminished glucose metabolism during infancy, with colleagues at the Emory University School of Medicine where she holds a position in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences.
Dr. Edwards is an Atlanta native who currently resides in Brookhaven, Georgia. She played Division I Collegiate softball and currently spends her free time watching and playing tennis competitively. She also enjoys attending sporting events, concerts, and spending time outdoors with her cocker spaniel (“Mac”) in her free time.
678-825-2320 Ext. 4
Education and Training
- 2010: Earned MA in Clinical Psychology from Georgia State University
- 2014: Completed Internship/Residency at the Virginia Treatment Center for Children-Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center
- 2015: Received PhD in Clinical Psychology from Georgia State University
- 2015: Completed Postdoctoral Clinical Psychology Fellowship at Emory University-Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- 2015: Obtained License to practice Psychology in the State of GA
- 2019: Completed BTTI Certification (general) by the IOCDF to provide ERP to treat OCD
- 2019: Completed Selective Mutism intensive training under the direction of Dr. Shelley Avny